Welcome to our website.
St. Catherine's is a welcoming and happy Catholic primary school serving Bridport and its neighbouring areas in West Dorset.
All parents interested in further information are welcome to telephone for an appointment to come and meet us and to look around the school.
At St. Catherine's we provide a caring community known for its effective education and offer children maximum opportunities to discover and
develop their personal talents and to use them positively for the benefit of all.
If there is any information you need that you can not find on this website please contact the school on 01308 423568
If you have any queries or concerns please use the information below to contact us
Acting Headteacher: Mrs S Betts
Assistant Head: Mrs L Blake
St.Catherine's Catholic Primary School,
For a link to our school on Google Maps, please click here
St Catherine’s Catholic Primary School
Religious Education Policy
At St Catherine’s our mission is to
‘Live, Love and Learn Together’
The family of St Catherine’s Catholic Primary School helps everyone to do their best, to work hard together in a place of love, warmth and safety, following the teachings of Jesus.
You will see us
- Work hard to be the best we can be, celebrating and enjoying our achievements.
- Love, value and respect each other as Jesus taught us.
- Reach out to those who need us both near and far.
- Say sorry with honesty and courage and learn to forgive each other.
- Create a happy atmosphere, lasting friendships and wonderful memories.
- Create an environment where we feel spiritually, emotionally and physically safe, and our thoughts and feelings are listened to.
As a school, we understand that the primary goal in religious education is to help pupils come to know and experience God through learning about and reflecting on the life of Jesus. It provides opportunities to reflect on fundamental questions of life and develop values and beliefs through exploration of the Gospel. Children and staff are encouraged to live out these beliefs and values in the daily life of our school.
Aims & Objectives:
The aims of Religious Education at St Catherine’s are:
- To invite children to form a personal relationship with Jesus.
- To support children to grow in their knowledge and understanding of Catholic faith and life.
- To provide children with opportunities for prayer and reflection.
- To develop children’s ability to listen, to think critically, to question, to reflect and to make informed judgements.
- To encourage children to see themselves as part of the wider parish and world community.
- To encourage children to learn about and respect the beliefs and traditions of other major world faiths.
While Catholic in nature, the RE learning journey at St Catherine’s welcomes, respects and celebrates those from all faiths and none.
RE at St Catherine’s is a core subject and is underpinned by our School Mission Statement. RE curriculum follows the God Matters programme over ten units linked to the liturgical year of the Church seeking to engage, explore and reflect on key themes. Timetabled lessons (10% of the teaching time) are supported by liturgies, assemblies, prayer and worship (individual, class and whole school).
Prayer and Worship:
Prayer and worship is central to daily life at St Catherine’s. Morning, lunchtime and end of day prayer takes place in all classes across the school. After lunch each day, we have Christian meditation in class. There is a deep need in our world for stillness, simplicity and silence and we give our children an opportunity to have a special time to be still and silent with God.
Worship happens collectively as a whole school during Monday Liturgies and is led by class teachers/pupils following the previous Sunday’s Gospel theme. Parents and parishioners are most welcome to attend. On Wednesdays, Canon Richard leads Prayer and Praise with the whole school and on Thursdays there are class-based liturgies across the school. There are also twice yearly special class liturgies to which parents are invited. On Fridays, the school recognises special achievements during Celebration Assembly.
Mass takes place half-termly alternating between church and school. Each Key Stage 2 class takes it in turn to be responsible for the mass. Parents, parishioners and extended family are warmly invited to attend.
Prayer & Worship Timetable
Monday - Whole School Liturgy
Thursday - Prayer and Praise - Canon Richard and Mrs Lewendon
Friday - Celebration Assembly - 2.20pm - All Welcome
General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)
Please view the links below for information on the GDPR
Page 1 of 22